Sunday, October 2, 2011

Networking at the AHIMA Student Academy

Today I spent a couple of hours at the AHIMA Student Academy as a mentor for their lightning rounds. AHIMA's Student Academy is a one day free event for students in AHIMA based programs. Several mentors including myself were asked to spend time giving advice on certification, career planning, volunteering, and networking - you know, a lot of the things I blog about through the Coder Coach!

It was great to network with the future of our profession and see so many people excited about their future careers.

So here's a little recap from the mentors' advice to students today:
-Follow your bliss - if a particular area interests you, pursue it, even if the pay isn't great. If you go for a job that you're passionate about, the money will follow.
-Certification is a must if you want to be taken seriously and want to excel.
-Network, network, network. Communicating and networking with current pros is key.
-Volunteer. You would be amazed at the doors that will open for you when you volunteer either with coding/HIM departments or with your local coding/HIM associations.
-Stay positive and avoid being defensive. People pick up on attitude quickly. If you are looking for a job and have been for a long time it's easy to let bitterness creep into your conversations. So be careful to keep positive and hopeful.

More from AHIMA in Salt Lake City coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kristi, I must say I am very impressed and pleased to me you. My name is Juanita Jewett. I am a student trying to get me BS in HIM, I am very excited about your blog and I look forward to learning a lot from you especially the the ICD 10. Thank you for taking the time to help us who really want this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristi,
    You've helped me in my education and quest to become a coder when I graduate and take my certification exam next year. I look forward to ICD-10 and all the changes coming up. Thanks again,
    Fran Puddy

    ReplyDelete